Thursday, July 29, 2010

Back to Reality.....


My husband is a commercial airline pilot. Cool, right? It's not as glamorous as it sounds. Trust me. I refer to myself as a "sometimes single" mom. Because when he's at work, he is gone. There is no 5pm relief coming for me. I'm it. I play mom, dad, doctor, diciplinarian, cookie dispenser & time out enforcer. It's all me. But when he's home he is 100% ours. There are no conference calls. No meetings for which to prepare. No late nights dining with clients.
I have my moments, but overall I like our schedule. It works for us. He can often squeeze a fairly long block of days at home and we're just coming off one of those blocks. My husband was home for two weeks straight and now I'm back in the land of singleton.
Getting my workouts in while he was home was a breeze. "Honey, I'm going to head to the gym for about an hour, k? You can run when I get home and then we'll have dinner on the back deck. Deal? Perfect."
Now, I'm it. I'm juggling dentist appointments, swim team for boy 1 and swim lessons for boy 2; aikido training & library days. On top of my daily lists of "to do's". It makes it harder to squeeze that workout in. I missed yesterday and today.
It's a tough balance to strike, but I'm determined to make my workouts a priority. I'm going to make myself a priority. For the first time in my life.

1 comment: