Sunday, January 23, 2011

What's in a name?

O Romeo, Romeo! Wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name.
Or, if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love,
And I’ll no longer be a Capulet.

'Tis but thy name that is my enemy.
Thou art thyself, though not a Montague.
What’s Montague? It is nor hand, nor foot,
Nor arm, nor face, nor any other part
Belonging to a man. O, be some other name!
What’s in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet.
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo called,
Retain that dear perfection which he owes
Without that title. Romeo, doff thy name,
And for that name, which is no part of thee
Take all myself.
I'm not big on the classics. Oh sure, I read Hamlet and MacBeth, Don Quixote, Dante's Inferno and all the rest of them (or at least the Cliff's Notes!) but I simply wasn't swept away by them like a lot of people can be. But Romeo & Juliet, now that one spoke to me.
I remember having to memorize the above soliloquy in highschool and I still remember most of it to this day. I've always been a sucker for a tortured love story.
Healthy for 100 what's in a name? What does Healthy for 100 mean?
I like the show Jeopardy. I remember watching it with my father in the evenings after dinner before starting on my homework. Everyone in my family tried to figure out the answers. Rarely was there a question that at least one of us didn't know, or have some type of guess. I don't have time to watch TV at that time of night very often, but when I do happen to see it on TV now, I will often sit and watch a few moments.
Last Spring, after watching some Jeopardy one evening, I was cleaning the kitchen and thinking about my many failed attempts at weightloss in the past. I was finally recognizing that weightloss and health don't often go hand in hand. I was frustrated with trying to lose weight but always feeling like crap. I wanted to be healthy. I thought if life is like a game of Jeopardy then I'd take "Healthy for 100, Alex"
And my blog name was born. I loved it because it could mean so many different things. 100 lbs, 100 days, 100 healthy recipes, 100 healthy habits, the list is infinite.
So, am I trying to lose 100 pounds? Sure, I guess. Will I cry if I never see 125 on the scale? No. I'm not sure, exactly, how much I want to lose. My body will know when it is happy. My body will know when it is healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment