Tuesday, February 22, 2011

I Fixed It!!

Like for reals! I fixed my computer!!

Yesterday Windows started acting really weird. Everything was timing out and not responding. I had a hard time even restarting my computer. Then ~ NOTHING. I got some strange DOS screen that said I had a Windows Error and I could either Start it in Repair Mode (or something like that) or Start Normally. Neither worked. I kept coming back to that same screen.

A friend of mine's husband does computer repair on the side and I went on a desperate search to find her number (it was stored, of all places, in my computer!!). I finally got ahold of her and talked to her husband. He said he'd be happy to look at it, but it sounded like Windows was corrupted and he'd probably need to reinstall it. Did I still have the discs? Yes I did. I told him I'd call him tomorrow (today)

After talking to another friend last night she said "why don't you google your error message?" Well, Duh. No, no I hadn't. So I did (on my phone) and check that out ~ a step by step list of what I should do.

So, I single handedly reinstalled Windows, then I did a system restore to the last known "safe" date and then I ran a whole system scan while I slept. Then Windows ran an update and when I woke up my computer worked!

I think little trolls may have come in while I slept and fixed it. Anyhoo, I now have a computer and all is right with the world. Now, I just have to figure out when to squeeze in this run. It's only 2 miles and I'm having a heck of a time fitting it in. I'm going to have to rethink Tuesdays as a running day. They are just too full already.....

2 comments:

  1. Well now that you fixed your puter, can you fix my heater?! I woke up with no heat. It's up to 52 now (after a balmy 49 wake up call). I should have known something was up when my Rottie curled up with me during the night. BBBrrrrrggghhhhh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoo hoo! Google helps everything!

    ReplyDelete