Monday, January 2, 2012

On the road again...

I just got back from my first run of the new year. It also was my first run ever in my Vibrams. I got them about a year ago and slowly started building my time in them by wearing them around the house and out and about. I wasn't sure if I wanted to run in them or not and even up until this morning, I still wasn't sure.

I was planning to hit a yoga class this afternoon, but the siren call of the sewing machine kept me firmly in my PJs sitting in my kitchen stitching away. Before I knew it, yoga wasn't going to happen.

Since it's been about nine months since I've run with any great consistency and with my plans of starting over with the C25K program, I figured today was as good a day as any to start. I went to grab my running shoes, and then remembered that they'd been rubbing some hot spots on one of my feet. FAIL.

My husband said "You're just going for a mile or so, why not use your VFFs?" Um, what? Wait, I had decided that I was using those for weight training, not running. Well, maybe....

So I did. My toes got cold. I can deal with that. I ran .2/walked .2/ran .2, etc....I also wore my Garmin just to see what my pace was. It averaged (when running) between 11 - 12 minute miles. I've *never* run that pace before. I could have kept going, but I didn't want to push it so I made myself stop every .2 miles. My last bit of running I maintained an 8:30 minute mile. And I wasn't sprinting. WTH???

So, either I don't know how to work my Garmin or my running has improved more than I realized. Maybe it's the shoes? Either way, today was a fantastic (although short) run (and pain free)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment