Sunday, April 3, 2011

Someone mentioned to me the other day that they were disappointed to discover that the half and half they'd been using in their coffee had corn syrup. They were trying to eat more "clean" and wanted to find an alternative for her coffee. I suggested she look for an organic brand as that should be a healthier option. She replied that was a great idea and she'd be sure to look for organic "fat free" half and half.
I didn't have the heart to tell her that, by definition, half and half is half milk and half cream. There is no such thing as real (aka "clean") fat free half and half.
I am always astounded by the number of people that believe fat free or sugar free or gluten free or *insert* free is automatically the healthiest option.
Often times when one offending compnent is removed a chemical, synthetic version is used instead. I recognize that sugar is not a healthy ingredient. However, give me evaporated cane crystals over Splenda (or sacchrine or aspartame) any day of the week.
Calorie free or fat free is not synonomous with healthy. I have found that the chemical synthetics actually can leach the nutrients from my body leaving me feeling sluggish and ill. Nutrient rich whole foods from the earth are the best way I've found to nourish my body and stay healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment