Wednesday, March 16, 2011

"Crack Soup"

A while back I posted about a soup recipe that I'd gotten from the Trainer Momma. I've made it several times now and while I got the recipe from her, like all things in life, I've placed my own spin on it. It. is. amazing. I seriously can't get enough and I've dubbed it "crack soup"

Chicken with Bean & Barely Soup
Adapted from this recipe


1 lg onion, diced

2 stalks celery, diced

2 (or more) large carrots, sliced

Olive oil

4 c water

12 c chicken broth

1/2 c medium pearl barley

1/3 c dried black beans

1/3 c dried great northern beans

1/3 c dried kidney beans

Cooked leftover chicken (as much or as little as you have)

1 Tblsp Chili Powder

1 tsp cumin

1/2 tsp oregano

3/4 tsp salt

Saute onions, celery & carrots in oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a high simmer. Reduce to a low simmer and allow to simmer until beans are cooked. About 2 - 2 1/2 hours. Attempt to eat only one bowl.

1 comment: