Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I try to eat mostly whole foods. I don't like processed stuff and if I try to make as many things from scratch as I can. Having said that.....

This is the best bread ever. My friend Ann sent me an email the other day and asked if I'd test her recipe for her. Little did I know she was inviting me into carbohydrate heaven. My kids devoured this. This will become my new go to bread and I'll never had to buy a loaf of rubbery grocery store bread again.



Wheat bread even your kids will eat
makes one 8x4 loaf

1 cup warm water ( 105 to 115 degrees )
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp honey ( agave or maple syrup can also be used )
2 tsp active dry yeast
3 tbsp melted coconut oil
3 cups whole wheat white flour, less 3 tbsp ( you need to remove 3 tbsp to compensate for the gluten )
3 tbsp vital wheat gluten
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp citric acid ( fruit fresh )
1/8 tsp ginger

In a medium mixing bowl combine water, sugar and honey. Add 2 tsp yeast and allow to bloom for 10 to 12 minutes.

In a separate mixing bowl combine four, gluten ,salt, ginger and citric acid. Let sit at room temperature while yeast blooms. Never use cold ingredients when making bread.

When yeast mixture is ready: melt and mix in coconut oil and flour mixture. Stir to combine.

Knead the dough on large surface for 6 to 10 minutes. The trick to getting light bread is not to use too much extra flour when kneading. You can also use a light spray of oil in place of additional flour. You will know you are done kneading when the dough is elastic and springs back when you press your finger into it.

Let rise in a covered bowl until doubled in size, about 40 min.

Punched down dough and knead dough a few more times. Shape into a loaf and place into a greased 8x4 loaf pan. Cover and let rise again, until double in size.

Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. If bread begins to brown too much drape a piece of tin foil over it.

That's it. Easy Peasy. I love it. I had another slice this morning slathered in peanut butter and a bit of jam. Still as soft and heavenly as it was yesterday. Yum!! I may omit the ginger in future loaves. It gives the bread a nice bite, but I'm simply not a big fan of ginger. That's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment