Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Drinking the Kool Aid

~*~ This post just seemed to write itself~I don't even know if it makes sense, but I'm going with it ~*~
A few days ago a friend from high school posted that he'd just returned from his first ever CrossFit workout, that he wanted to puke, and that it was the "MOST AWESOMEST THING EVER!"

My husband and I have discussed CrossFit a handful of times over the last year or so, but for some reason, this time it stuck. We decided to stop in and have a chat with one of the coaches. Turns out our local "box" expanded a few months ago and now they have a kids' room. SCORE!! They don't do much in there and it's definitely not as kid friendly as the YMCA, but its CROSSFIT! I've wanted to try this for-EVAH!

We stopped back in later that night to talk to the owner and discuss pricing. Holy Jebus, it's expensive! Especially if we sign the kids up for the CrossFit Kids program. Our monthly gym bill would more than DOUBLE. Eee-gads!

We went ahead and scheduled an intro for each of us (a one on one hour long orientation ~ complimentary, of course). THEN we found out that at the end for the Intro, you do what's called a baseline workout ~ 500m row, 40 air squats, 30 sit ups, 20 push ups, & 20 pull ups.

The hubs went in for his Intro today and I headed to the YMCA with the kids for their homeschool PE class. While at the Y I went into a complete panic. What if somedays I just want to do an easy cardio day? What about the indoor track that I so dearly love. I have to give up the Jacob's Ladder?!? I have to do HOW MANY push ups? I can't even DO a pull up!!

As I sat on the recumbent bike, all of these thoughts swirling through my head, I suddenly realized that I've had this state of the art gym at my disposal for the last seven months and I haven't taken advantage of it. AT ALL. It wasn't that I didn't want to, it's that for the most part, I don't know how.

I started thinking back to when I first started this blog and was actually seeing some success at my weight loss efforts. What was different? The number one difference is that I was going to classes at the gym. I wasn't being left to my own devices. I walked into the gym, someone told me what to do for an hour and I walked out.

Yes, I could take classes at the Y, but none of them interest me or, the few that do, aren't available when I'm able to get to the gym.

I got home from the Y today bubbling with all of these new epiphanies that I'd discovered and I found my husband curled up in a ball on our bed. His first thought after his first baseline workout? F^CK THAT! Those were his exact words. But after he caught his breath. After he puked. After he drank his protein shake and got his body back under control, he can't wait to go back.

One 9 minute & 30 second workout and he's hooked. Completely. He told me he's already decided that he's signing up. If I chose to stick with the Y, he's going to cancel his portion of the family membership and use that $$ for a single CrossFit membership. Really??? You were there an hour. You sweated for less than 10 minutes.......

My intro is tomorrow. I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. I want to really love it. I'm pretty sure I will. But I want to love it so much that it's not scary leaving the security of a traditional gym. Is that even possible? I don't know, but I could use some prayers around 12:45 PST tomorrow afternoon. Just sayin'.

1 comment: