Saturday, February 11, 2012

To Be Continued.......

Anyone have one of these in their back yard? We're still waiting to harvest ours.

CrossFit is expensive. We knew this going on. My hubs makes a very comfortable living and we're basically frugal people. A CrossFit membership will not bankrupt our family, but it'll still hurt in the pocketbook. OUCH

Our local box has several membership options, but we really want our kids to be able to take advantage of the CrossFit Kids program and the box has only one option for an entire family ~ $350 for unlimited access for the entire family. That's per month. For reference, we're currently paying $115/month for our family YMCA membership. Yes, that's a 3x increase. GULP!

My husband is out of town about 15 days a month, he doesn't need an unlimited membership. The box owner is willing to work with us on price because of his schedule. He called last night and told us his offer for a 3x per week membership for Jason and me and kid's classes for the boys. It was more than we were expecting.

Our gut reaction was "No way!" We just couldn't justify that expense. Not when we already have a gym membership. We talked it over and decided, at the very least, Jason would get a membership. He hates the Y. I can't even remember the last time he was there. Maybe for our son's birthday party? The last time he worked out there? No clue. So.....keeping his Y membership is really just a waste of money. If we take him out of the Y equation, we save about $43/month. He could buy a 20 visit punch card at CrossFit and that would last him about 2 months. Overall, with this scenario our gym fees would increase just over $50/month.

We continued talking and while I don't hate the Y, it's simply not working for me. Jason asked me what my ultimate goals were ~ performance goals, appearance goals, physical goals....anything ~ I had to sit and think about it. I didn't want to just spout off "to lose weight" Honestly, I think that goal is a cop out. Think. Soul Search. Figure. It. Out. What are my goals? To decrease my BF% . I have one of those digital, step on it and it'll tell you everything you never wanted to know about yourself, kind of scales. I know as far as BF% they aren't very accurate, but for now it's all I've got and to be honest, I don't think it's really that far off......according to my scale my BF% is over 50%. That scares the hell out of me. I'm metabolically healthy, but I know my body can turn on me at any moment. Next goal: do a pull up, do a push up. Next: get stronger & leaner. Next: be able to buy clothes in a regular store.......

Before I knew it, I was a mess of tears and goals were just spilling out of me without any thought. Can I reach these goals without a CrossFit membership? Yes, of course. I'm just not sure I know how. I know how to do the basic lifting moves: dead lift, back squats, bench press, thrusters, etc.....It's the power moves that scare the hell out of me. Cleans, jerks, etc.....it's the intensity that I'm lacking, and it's the intensity that I will not include in my own workouts (not without instruction)

Option #2: Both of us join CrossFit individually and not have the boys participate. This seems the most unfair to me. We'd be taking away their YMCA classes and not offering them anything else. I refuse to let my kids become inactive because we aren't willing to pay the fees.

Option #3: We suck it up and just pay the fee and we're all happy. We can put our YMCA membership on hold for up to three months without having to repay the registration fee. So, there's an out if for some reason CrossFit just doesn't work.

Here's the thing: I really really really want Option #3, but I'm afraid to ask for it. My husband is amazing. AH~mAZing. He sacrifices so much to provide for our family. He gives me nearly everything I want. He rarely spends money on himself, but doesn't hesitate to surprise me with gifts of appreciation for any random occasion. I know if I tell him that I really really want this CrossFit membership he'll say Ok without hesitation. I don't want to let him down. This will be the third gym we've joined in two years and so far I weigh pretty much the same (and have the same body) as I did when we had no memberships. I can not justify asking him to spend this money on me and then continue on with my same pattern.

Do I think CrossFit will be different? Honestly, yes I do. But I also said that about both of the other gyms. The one time I was consistently using the gym and, coincidently, consistently losing weight was when I had a specific class I was going to three times a week. I showed up, I was told what to do, I went home. That's CrossFit. That's why I think this time it'll work. But I'm still hesitant.

To Be Continued...........

No comments:

Post a Comment